Thursday, February 20, 2014

Best ever soft sugar cookies!

I made these tonight.  Wow.  They're sooooo good!  I've had the recipe a while and haven't made them in probably a year.  We were craving something sweet and this is so quick and simple I decided to toss it together.

Like everything else I'm finding, following the recipe exactly - as far as combining ingredients in different bowls and then adding them together - is crucial to get this cookie coming out right.  When it does, you'll LOVE them though.  Hubby ate 8 of these after dinner!!!  Don't tell, but I even snuck some of the dough.

In first bowl combine the following:

2-3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

In second bowl combine:

1-1/2 cups sugar
1 cup of softened butter

In third bowl combine:

1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract


Mix second and third bowls together and blend well.  Add in the contents of the first mixed bowl.

I've found that this recipe works best if you take the mixed dough and put it in the freezer for twenty to thirty minutes now.  I turn the oven on to 375 now so it can start to warm while the dough starts to cool.  I also put my cookie sheets in the freezer.

Once the dough has chilled, roll small balls of dough into balls about as big across as a nickel.  The recipe will wind up making around six dozen cookies this way.

I like to roll my cookies in a sugar / cinnamon mixture before I put them on the cookie sheet.  It's totally up to you.  They make great plain sugar cookies if you prefer.

Grease your cookie sheet really well.  I just spray it with the cooking spray.  I know, that stuff is chemicals in a can and horrible for you, but that's what I use.

DO NOT flatten the cookies at all.  As they cook they will flatten themselves out.

If you've got a glass window in your oven keep a close eye on them that way.  If they start to turn golden brown at the bottom edge, they're done.  Let them cool on the counter for at least five or ten minutes before you touch them.  This lets them finish the last of the cooking without getting browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment